Seller’s Checklist

Government issued Photo Identification will be required at settlement for all parties, along with a secondary form of Identification. It must be valid (not expired) at the time of closing. Examples, Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, Naturalization Certificate, Green Card.
Bring an Original Power of Attorney or Death Certificates (if applicable).
Bring most bills (tax/water/gas/sewer).
Contact your homeowner’s insurance policy and them know you are selling your home and provide forwarding mailing address.
Contact Utility Companies to disconnect services.

PECO Energy: 800-494-4000 or (most common) PP&L: 800-342-5775 (some Bucks-Mont. Co. areas)

Philadelphia Gas Works or PGW 215-235-1000.

Cavalier- 800-683-3944 or
Comcast- 800-266-2278 or
Verizon- 800-660-2215 or
Vonage- 866-243-4357 or

Contact the Township regarding the water, sewer and trash removal.

Aqua America- 877-987-2782 or
Pennsylvania American Water Company- 800-565-7292 or

If this is a Condominium or Homeowner’s Association and you are in possession of the 3407 or 5407 Resale Certificate, please bring it to the settlement.
Your movers will not have access to the house until settlement is completed.
Contact the Postal Service to change your address.
PGW*Philadelphia county only